Why I Blog

By Diego Garcia III ★ Editor of The Brownsville Beacon

A blog is defined as "a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style."

The term is a shortened version of "weblog," a sort of online journal published on the internet for all to see.

I am very well aware the internet in all it's dark corners is filled with scores of miserable, negative people who love nothing more than to spread their hatred and misery. Most of these people were voiceless before the internet gave them a voice. Many of them confuse those who visit their blog with the belief they're powerful, influential, and people take their blog seriously.

They don't.

I have no such delusions of grandeur. I am very well aware my blog is not as powerful and influential as some people think theirs is. I don't even know how to check to see how many people visit my blog or it's mirror Facebook page.

I also know people love to tear down anything and everything. It stands to reason most people will make negative comments about people who choose to write and share their opinion online. 

This is something I've had learn to ignore. One blogger who I developed a friendship with said in order to continue with my blog, I'd have to dismiss the critics and have a thick skin. It wouldn't be long before I'd experience the negativity — one of my first anonymous comments left refered to me with a nasty homosexual slur.

I try to avoid profanity on my blog, although I personally cuss like a drunken sailor. No matter how much criticism I've leveled at any public figure, politician, or blogger, I've never attacked them personally or used childish, middle school level insults, though that certainly hasn't stopped others from doing so.

And I get it — my writing and my articles aren't going to be liked by the majority. I've been accused of being too wordy, too repetitive, stupid, an idiot, an amateur, insignificant, and too many other things to remember or mention. 

I've never pretended to be a professional journalist. I've never written professionally for a newspaper or periodical. I'd redirect you to the definition of f blog once again. An informal or conversational style.

I've been messaged by city commissioners, other bloggers, and critics who don't hesitate to tell me just how terrible my blog is. Another supposed local quasi-influencer who's had several blogs and failed partnerships with others has run to his social media page in the past to insult my writing and say how insignificant my blog is. Funny how he'd post something that I couldn't see or reply to, since I never approved the friend request he sent me.

And yet, you're still reading, aren't you?

One blog rakes me over the coals and writes replies calling me everything he can conjure up to probably get a rise out of me and cause me to attack in some profanity-laced tirade or argument. His nonsensical ramblings aren't worthy of that kind of reply.

No matter how insignificant or stupid I am, you're still reading what I write. Instead of ignoring me, you put me center stage. For all your ridiculousness, you simply can't get enough.

The bottom line is this: I don't write to be liked. I don't write for compensation, page views, or "likes." I write for my own self gratification. No matter what others may think, I like what I write. I share my opinions because I can, not because I'm trying to convince you of anything.

Writing is therapeutic for me; it's cathartic. It's enjoyable. Once it stops being those things, I'll stop doing it.

I'll say it one more time for those cowering under the shroud of anonymity in the dark: I don't do it for you. I do it for me.

People will never stop being the way they are. People will continue being negative and cruel because they can be. 

Unless I'm physically unable to write, I'm not going anywhere. If you don't like what I write, you always have the option to not visit my blog. We don't live in North Korea or the Soviet Union; computers here aren't forced to visit webpages you dislike.

If you're going to continue to allow me to live in your head rent-free, go right ahead. If you're going to write your angry little manifestos filled with garbled nonsense attacking me, more power to you. 

If you're going to keep proving I matter to you more than you're willing to admit, do it. If you're going to keep letting me know I'm getting to you and allowing me to laugh at you: all I can say is the following:

Thank you for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Starcks, The Rabbs, and a Plantation House

Brownsville's Ghost Fleet: Looking Back at Warships that Were

The Brownsville Blogosphere's Landscape is Changing